The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
carnutdallas

My 98 K2500 Heart Transplant

I just joined the group but wanted to share my foray into engine transplant. I have a 1998 K2500 Reg Cab with the 5.7ltr. Bought the truck with a bad engine, so I have no idea what else could be wrong. But brakes look good. Driveline looks good. Tranny fluid looked good. Overall condition is nice. I love this truck for simplicity - Cheyenne, so no power stuff to worry about. I do have cruise though It has the big tranny of course, which is a must for me. It already had full Ranch style bumpers. Gooseneck hitch and brake controller. Bed is in good shape and overall body condition is nice, better than average for a 13 year old truck.

I will document as a I go a long with pics and daily updates. This is how I bought it 2 weeks ago:

Today, I bought a set of later model Silverado HD aluminum wheels and 285/75-16 Tires. Went to the shop and mounted them up and decided to clean up the interior and start prepping to pull the engine. I pulled 95% of the harness, drained the coolant and removed upper fan shroud, fan, breather assy and coolant related items. Truck has a head gasket issue and the PO drove it into the ground. She is way, way tight. Will not turn over with out pulling plugs. Lots of rust and oil in coolant so I am putting in a brand new GM Crate engine. The 4-bolt main made for this rig. 5 year - 100k warranty. I am getting it for $1977.00 I could do a local re-builder for $1000, but the GM engine comes pretty ready to go. I hope to have it done in the next two weeks. Will keep you posted. Here are some pics of where I ended up after 3.5hrs of work today.

Have a great week guys! -Rob
carnutdallas is offline   Reply With Quote