The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
MMM...BRAINS...

S10 swap fun

i'm putting my '50 chevy truck on a '91 s10 frame. so far the swap hasnt been too bad. got a cab positioned and mounted about 3.5" off frame front & back.
wheels are decently centered in fenders.

NOW, onto the fun part....the front clip.
I started with the hood and got my gap at the cowl area pretty good and tac-d it in place. the fenders lined up pretty decent with hood and gaps were pretty good. tightened those up and tac-d fenders to hood. (i don't have any extra help so the tacs keep it from shifting on me)
my goal is to get my gaps and all lined up as good as i can THEN start on the radiator support/fender mounts to the frame.
well, here i was thinking "wow, that wasn't near as bad as i thought..."

wrong.

next was to mount the grill. the grill it self fit great between the fenders with a little nudging here & there.
The problem showed up with the hood and the upper grill "bar". the hood was at least a 1/2" back from the closing the gap on the upper grill in the center. (basically where the hood nose closes on top of the grill) towards the outter edges of hood and grill was not as bad. hood was as far "back" (towards the cab) as i could get it and so were the fenders.
I think i determined that the hood is sloped down to far so the whole front clip needs to "tip" up.

NOW, does anyone who has done this swap have any tips, pointers, warnings, etc.?
I've read ALL the s10 swap threads on here, on killbillet, and the hamb. none of them really seem to touch on this part of the build. probably cause its a different pain in the ass each time. haha.

even better would be to see some pics of fender, hood, cowl gaps you've managed to get.