The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
DetroitDan

I didnt want another project but...

I've been searching for a decent K5 style Blazer/Jimmy for weeks, everything I have found is either not worth fixing, too much money, or sold before I can get there. And there are not many to choose from in New England. In fact I only found two really nice ones, can't blame them for asking a lot of money. Worst part of the search was all the people not returning calls and emails about Blazers they listed for sale.
Actually got frustrated with my search and started looking at Wranglers, bought a lifted TJ, had buyers remorse and sold it 3 days later for what I paid. Sat on Craigslist until another Blazer popped up and I jumped on it. It's a 91, runs and drives great but needs a bunch of work. Has been repainted, it's a nice shiny black, but one rear quarter has a bite taken out of it that will need pretty serious body work, going to farm that out. Exhaust and shocks, little electrical stuff. But I have a question I couldnt find the answer to with a search. Every Blazer I looked at needed repair to the floors and side wall right behind the front seats, it's kind of a floor/dropoff thing. Every one told me LMC has the repair parts, but I cant find or identify them. Looked on a few different websites that sell rust repair panels, couldn't find it. Thought it might help if I knew what it was called. Be nice to find the correct part to install, otherwise I'll be cutting some sheetmetal with tin snips and fitting it in there by hand.
Got to get the exhaust done first, it's got Flowmasters (yuck) with the tailpipes busted off, it's louder than my bigblock with glasspacks. Too loud to drive. And all four shocks are junk for some reason. Saddest thing is the tires-35/12.50/15 BFG Mud Terrains with nearly full tread, sidewalls are all cracked to the point of being unsafe.
So like I said, I really didn't want another project, but driving the 454 was killing me on gas, and I decided that instead of spending all my money on a Blazer, I'd spend some of it on the truck and the rest on re-doing it. I think I've got a pretty nice starting point, but it does have some rot.
I'm going to need a lot of advice from the Blazer experts on here!