The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Reliant

Break in oil on 2nd change?

Hello Chevy truck forum members!

Edit: The project is a 1971 GMC 3/4 long box big window., the motor is a 87-95 chevy 350

After a few months of viewing this forum as a guest (and being helped a lot by the posts, thanks!) I recently joined and I have a first time engine building question.

The engine in question is a rebuilt 350 with roller every thing, so I'm not worried about cam break in, and with all the conflicting engine break-in info I've come up with a plan for break-in that should work for me.

I plan on using Edelbrock engine break in oil for the first step of break in as almost all the after market parts are edelbrock and it's a company I trust.

The question, After the first oil change I plan after 30-40 miles of break-in should I refill with the same break-in oil for the 2nd change? or go to high quality old school oil?

I'm thinking about using the Edelbrock break in oil for the 2nd fill. I guess my point is after the tender first break-in would a little less protection help or hinder the smoothing of machined parts?

any advice would be of great value to me

Thanks. Dean

Edit: I think I posted this on the wrong section. Sorry, I'm new to forums. Can this post be moved to the correct section of the forum or deleted?

Last edited by Reliant; 01-18-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Posted on wrong forum
Reliant is offline   Reply With Quote