The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
72chevydump

72 Chevy k20 350 won't start

Hello all. I'm having some trouble with a dump truck I just bought. It had a cracked exhaust manifold when I bought it so I replaced them with a set of headers. Well in the process I dented the d/s valve cover. I removed the cover and used a block of wood and a hammer to straighten it all out. Looked pretty good so I reinstalled the cover. Started the truck and had a tap, tap, tap then shut off. Tried to start again and it would only run for 2 or 3 seconds then shut off. Did that a hand full of times then said screw it and pushed the truck outside. I figured from the rockers hittin the cover it wasnt letting the valves open all the way hense the stalling out right away. It sat for about 10-14 days until I got a new cover.

So today I pulled the old cover and replaced with a new used cover. New cover is straight and true. Put the new one on and tried to start it and it just cranks.

The old cover there were 2 light rub marks no deep gouges or anything just rubbed smooth a lil. I'm praying it isn't a bent valve.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. Would like to get her going cause thy are calling for some snow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
72chevydump is offline   Reply With Quote