The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Truthamedia

Please help with my build

I am sixteen. Very new to this.
I have two complete trucks:
1970 long stepper c10-$150
250 inline six
Drum brakes all around
coils all around
power nothing
original everything

1972 long fleet c10- $200
350 sb
coil all around
drum all around
power nothing

I also have a 1972 4x4 chassis that has power steering, brakes, and disc brakes in front.

I NEED HELP

Budget: CHEAP but effective.
engine: 1000$
Suspension- 500$
Brakes and steering-as little as safely possible
Interior- As much as needed to get what I want.

I have planned this and can't make up my mind on how I want to go about this build. So please help. I'll try to keep this list of questions organized.
First, I am using the long fleet for my base. It has very little rust (only on the right rocker panel. The other truck I will either part out or sell as whole (depending if i use anything out of it.)

SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS MAY CONTRADICT OTHERS SINCE I AM LOW ON CHASSIS COMPONENT KNOWLEDGE. PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING
SO on to the questions:

Suspension: I want to spend up to 500 bucks on this section. seriously.
I want to tow my boat. I want to lower my truck. Damn..... (boat has up to a 300 lb tounge weight.)
SO I am thinking either a 3/5 drop (coil springs) or a 4/6 drop (coil springs)
What would I need to do? what are my options? is there anything else I have to think about besides buying and installing? (shocks obviously will be changed) I dont want to bag my truck with helper bags YET. no money for it. If I cant tow than oh well. Any links to the best coil drops?

Brakes: I want to spend up to 150 bucks on this section. Seriously.
Can I swap the disc brakes on my 4x4 chassis to my 72? what would be needed to do so? if not, what are my other options?

Can I Put power brakes from the 4x4 on the 72? Are the discs and the power brake system interlinked? how would I go about this?

Steering: I dont want to spend anything on this. dead serious.
With the above answered (hopefully) would there be any changes I need to make to the steering? Can I put power steering from the 4x4 onto the 72'? If so how do I go about it?

wheels + Tires: Eventually I will want new wheels + tires. I am not converting to 5 spoke I have these in mind:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-10428538NC/
First question is can I even get these to fit? They are designed for newer trucks so If I need to buy a spacer than I will just buy a 5 lug spacer and get original torq thrusts. Any tips? Considering the drop, and whether or not I will have the disc brakes on the front?
Also, tire size. I want a staggered look. Do I stagger the tire size or do I stagger the rim size? Which looks better? What do you recommend? I WILL NOT spend more than 900 dollars on tires. The stagger will probably be 2 inches. any pics of staggered vs. non staggered with either a 3/5 or a 4/6?
The wider the tire the better. Thanks!

Any other tips for me? I am sure there will be stuff I am forgetting so I will probably be asking alot of them on this thread. PLEASE help I cant spend so much on this and then have all of the components not work as one. thanks!
Truthamedia is offline   Reply With Quote