The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Shaun1162

Re: Late 60's Vintage Modified Race Car

Been working on it some more, but been getting kind of frustrated at the same time. When I order a bunch of parts from Mac's a few weeks ago, I clicked the box to notify me if any parts were on backorder. Of course the brake orders were on backorder 6-8 weeks. I didn't really want to wait that long, and so I cancelled them from my order. So then I went and ordered them almost two weeks ago from Honest Charley's. Waited a week, no news, so I e-mailed a guy, who gave me the phone number of another guy to contact. He assured me last Friday they had shipped. Well the showed up today... and guess where they came from?? Mac's. Kind of an annoying run around but at least they're here... Just to show that I've been doing something:

So I'd pretty much have the front brake done, except for the springs. I kept fighting with the new return springs I bought from Mac's and so I went and dug out one of the old ones to compare- the new one is about 1/2" shorter, no wonder it was giving me such a hard time! Then tried to see if the old ones were still OK, bent one and seemed OK, bent the other and it snapped in half... So back to the drawing board on those I guess... Also had the brake drums turned, just have to go and pick them up.

Been trying to work out the rear axle shafts as well... I used one of those snake cameras to count the splines on the pig and it turns out this Timken uses a 16 spline axle instead of a 12 spline like the older model... No wonder the other axles wouldn't fit haha... Been trying to track those down, asked just about everyone I can think of but haven't had any luck. Saw a 1-ton Timken, made the same year(s) as the rear end I've got, but they're a little different and I'm not sure if they'd work... Might end up having to go pull one and find out. Also learned that early Dana 60's have 16 spline axles about the same length, so that might be an option too...

Hopefully the chassis will be back this week so I can get started on that too...

Anyways thanks for reading, hope you guys are enjoying the build!
- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote