The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
70monte

How much rust is too much?

My post about possibly buying a 72 GMC that has some rust issues and some of the replies, has me asking a couple of questions, how much rust is too much to consider restoring a truck and what is a desirable configuration that would make you fix more rust than you normally would?

I have seen quite a few posts on restorations here where people are replacing the normal things like rockers, cab corners, cab supports, and outer floor pans as well as the more difficult ones such as the entire floor, roofs, inner roofs, and firewalls. Beds don't seem to be the real deal killers as they don't usually seem to rust as bad as the cabs and it's easier to find mostly rust free beds vs rust free cabs.

Obviously the least amout of rust is desirable but for the ones here that have done or had done extensive rust repair, what was your motivation to buy one with a lot of rust or fix one that you currently owned instead of finding one with less rust to fix. Thanks.

Wayne
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote