The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
THE DRIVER

Tell your "How I got my truck story"

OK I'll start, the retired chaplain down the street had this 72 longbed 3/4 ton cabover camper special in front of his house since I lived in the neighborhood (years and years) and never drove it, he would always comment on whatever project I was driving and working on at the time. I sold off a completed project and he asked if I'd be interested in the truck. I should tell you there was about 20 cats living in the camper, he said if I got rid of the cats he would sell it to me cheap. It had 3600 original miles on it, his wife had passed soon after buying it and he lost the desire to camp. Luckily he turned it over and kept the battery charged over the years. I simply shut the camper door and drove to the animal shelter and told them the story, they took the cats. But, I still had a camper full of cat $#@& and piss in the camper. I tried and tried to get rid of it, no one would buy it, take it as a donation or steal it. I called the local dump and asked if I could get rid of it and they said only if it wan't attached to the truck and I'd have to pay a removal fee and breakdown fee. My buddy and I came back the following week with some wood blocks and parked on the far side of the lot and put down wood blocks and proceeded to jack it off the ground. A worker came over and ordered us to stop or he would tell the boss, I asked to speak to the boss. He left and we proceeded to jack the camper up, get in the truck and I floored it, the camper dragged a few feet and we thought we were gonna get stuck so I gunned it jacking the steering wheel side to side and it finally broke loose and half collapsed. The foreman and the worker showed up, The boss says "well, I guess I can't charge you for removal since it's already off but it has to be broke down, it can't be in one piece or the land filler can't drive over it." I asked him to step back and I floored it in reverse and hit it with the step bumper about 5 times until it completely flattened. They charged me the regular dump fee! It smelled like cat piss hell for about a month, to the point that I thought cats were coming to pee in it. but 2500 for a 3600 mile 72 longbed with factory A/C in great shape? It was worth the adventure. I've had the truck about 15 years now. So, How did you get your truck?
THE DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote