The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
jowwel

Help needed identifying transmission problem.

Hey Everyone,

My 1971 Chevy C10 pickup is giving me some trouble in the transmission department.

A few months back, it started protesting when I would shift from 1st to 2nd (It's a 3-on-the-floor setup in an "H" shape. 1st is lower left, second is upper right.). I noticed that it would shift more easily when the engine was still cold than it would after it warmed up. I also noticed that I could easily shift from Reverse into 2nd if need be, and that there was no trouble between 2nd and 3rd, or with downshifting of any kind.

As it got worse and I would be unable to get it into second from first at all without double clutching several times. Eventually, I just gave up and started parking on downhill slopes as much as possible and starting it up in Second. I cringe each time I do it, but I gotta get around somehow.

About a month ago, I also noticed that the truck would start to protest and vibrate when accelerating while in reverse. This started to get progressively worse as well until the shaking became unbearable. I now pop it into neutral and push the thing back into my parking spaces in the city with my feet. I'm not making this up. Last week, I noticed that I can no longer put the truck into reverse at all. The stick just won't go in.

I have checked all my linkage and it is fine. My friend has suggested that it might be the "syncro", which I am not familiar with. My suspicion is that my 41 year old transmission is calling it quits.

Do any of you have any insight into the problem for me, or have some advice on how to investigate the cause of the problem further?

Any help at all would be great. Thanks in advance.

PS. One more tidbit that might factor in: I changed the clutch in February/March. Perhaps I screwed something up?
jowwel is offline   Reply With Quote