The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #1
cal30_sniper

Project Modernizing a Squarebody Suburban Audio System

Hey all,

I just kicked off on a big and likely length modificiation to my '86 C20 Suburban. A combination of factors has led me to finally bite the bullet and start attempting to upgrade the audio qualities of the old truck. I figured I'd start up a thread for comments/suggestions, as well as a review of certain methods that might help out others who are trying to do the same thing. As a general outline, here's what I have planned:

1. Sound Deadening
2. Quality Speakers and Improved Speaker Placement
3. Improved Supporting Audio Equipment

I'm currently running a Pioneer DEH-P4400 deck, and the factory speakers. Everything else (insulation, carpet, etc) in the interior is bone stock '86, with the exception of my '96 Leather seats. Here's the details on what I am currently installing, and have plans to install in the future:

In Progress:
1. Cargo Area Sound Deadening:
a. 56 sq.ft. of Second Skin Damplifier Pro deadener (cargo floor, wheelwells, and sides)
b. 36 sq.ft. of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro noise insulation (cargo floor and wheelwells)
c. Home Depot aluminum/bubble wrap style noise/thermal insulation (behind cargo door panels and tailgate)
d. LMC Truck MIP cargo floormats and wheelwell covers

Planned:
1. Floorboard Sound Deadening
a. Second Skin Damplifier Pro
b. Second Skin Luxury Liner
c. New Carpet (no jute backing)

2. Door and tailgate sound deadening
a. Second Skin Damplifier Pro
b. Home Depot aluminum/bubble wrap

3. Roof Insulation
a. Home depot aluminum/bubble wrap behind new headliner fabric on original board

4. Speaker Upgrades
a. Infinity 3.5" Dash Speakers
b. Infinity 6.5" Kick Panel Speakers
c. Infinity 6x9" Rear Panel Speakers
d. Alpine 1" Dome Tweeters installed on Overhead Console (to be installed)
e. single 10" cargo hold sub (need help deciding here, is it really worth it? I don't want to bump, I just want full range lower tones in my music)

5. Supporting Audio Equipment
a. Suitable amplifier/amplifiers necessary to run 8 speakers (need help here deciding what kind of setup to run, doesn't need to be super crazy, I just want a nice, full, cab-filling sound. I don't listen to very loud music, I like my ears just fine the way they are).
b. Speaker wires, pass filters, etc, necessary to complete the installation.

I'll keep updating as I move forward. All comments and discussion are welcome. I do a lot of long distance driving, and I'm tired of hours spent with rattles and reverberations accented by a terrible factory sound system (who's idea were 4x10" speakers anyways?)

I'm looking forward to y'all's input, as well as a chance to bring fresh knowledge into a very complicated subject.

-cal30sniper
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote