The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
bill1wts

changing 8.1

Trying to get an 8.1 out of a 05 2500 hd. I am going to put another 8.1 in. This is hooked to an allison. Got the simple stuff unhooked. Need some help with some of the other...

I have a gas line tool but wont work on the f.i. line. Is this a specific chevy tool? Think mine is from auto zone and ive had it a few years.

Would it be better to leave all the power steering and coolant lines hooked up and just remove the pumps and brackets from the motor and put back on new motor.

Any tricks to getting it off the allison or will it slide off once i got all the bolts out?

I believe I will have to cut the nuts off the exhaust manifolds where the pipe attaches. I cant budge them.

The passenger side motor mount is kinda easy to get to but the drivers is not. Was thinking of unbolting the complete mount from the frame. Any suggestions?

Will I have to take the radiator out to pull the motor? Hope not but dont want to mess it up either.

Thanks for the help.

In case you are wondering. This is a work truck and the help drove it a week with no oil in it. Duh...thats why it said check oil. It spun a bearing and makes a lot of noise now.
bill1wts is offline   Reply With Quote