The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

The ride in this morning with the new timeing setting of 18 BTDC was about the same as running yesterday at 14 to 15 BTDC.

I have a bit of vibration under the dash and the speedo head/cable is noisey at specific speeds (both on accel and decell) but a close listen to the engine continues to provide no evidence of spark knock/detonation. I'm supprized as 18 BTDC is 4.5 times the factory recommendation with points dizzy, but that is the recommended advance from the expert. I'm in the middle of the suggested range for enrichment with this carb so I think I'll lean it down a bit more and see what happens. I am anxous though fill up the tank and make a few runs in a week or so and get the first confirmations on fuel mileage. At this point, and given the inaccuracy of the dash gage, it seems to be pretty good....better than what I was seeing with the worn Rochester B.

I think this evening I'll get under the dash to find the rattle and as time allows make a run with the speedo disconnected at the trans. Give the engine a good lugging and hot run on Rt 1 and listen for knock without old truck rattle distractions. With a tach on the dash now, I can run a bit w/o the speedo since 60 on the dash is about 2800 on the tach when in 3rd gear.

Still pulling fine. I'm starting to form some impressions of the entire conversion....

1. Delco 12SI alternator...a must have. No external regulator, seems very reliable and an easy swap and an easy repair as needed out on the roads....it'll be recognizeable to 20 year old mechs at the gas station emergency stop.

2. GM HEI, nice, nice, nice. I think this is a no brainer. It should be as bullet proof as the V8 HEIs, also easily recognized for emergency repairs out in East BF, over the counter parts is nice when yer far from home. I don't know what the mechanical advance or vacuum advance is pulling on mine but it looks very tuneable just like the V8s with a set of springs and options on the vacuum cans. Given the ignition on this rig is now 4.5 times more than the factory points recommendations plus the hotter spark, instant start, smoother powere, etc....I have no complaints. I'd rate this as the best money spent on any of my old vehicles over the past 20 years.

3. The Weber 32/36, especially on the 2 to 1 adapter has some compromises. It appears (and confirmed with some research) that this combo on adapter will loose a bit of bottom end power. I believe the smaller primary barrel is also a reason for some inital loss on the bottom end. However, the entire range is very responsive and smooth and I think I've gained the majority of the bottom bac. But I believe it'd be a slightly better bottom end performer on a more open manifold, even if its not possible to get the hole in the manifodl as large as the base of the carb, some increase in throat size will make a difference. A trip to the junk yard is likely in the near future. As for the mid range (where most driving is done) and the top end, no comparison to the old rochester model B. Powere is there in abundance and comes on smoothly with out a blip. I have definatly gained power on the top end. Its no longer a struggle to maintain 60. I'm cruseing at 60/65 and have to watch my input as it continues to creep up. If the fuel mielage is better than the old set up, and I'm already seeing indications that it is up, then I will be very pleased. Much like loading small high intensity pistol cartridges, small changes in fuel mixture make for rather significant changes in performance. The DGEV is no harder to adjust than any Rochester/Carter but where a full turn on them makes difficult to observe differences, a quarter turn on the Weber can be seen/heard and felt. Plan to spend some time and fuel getting to know the Weber. I believe I'm going to like it a lot. Finally, sitting up on the tall adapter, the carb is a bit cold natured...it warms up fine but a bit slow. I have choke adjustments to make so I'm not gonna worry about it at this point at all.

4.I don't like the carb hat from a performance perstpective, it adds a 180 turn for the air into the carb on an already somewhat restricted set up. I do like its looks. So, what to do? I'm waiting till its all tuned in to my satisfaction and tested for about 500 to 1000 miles. But, I think the future holds a bit taller K&N element to uncover a portion of the filter near the neck and perhaps some functional holes (or better, louvers if I can find someone to punch it!) around the perimter to straighten out the first dogleg into the throat. I did this on a highly restricted Kaw Drifter and it made for positive improvements in power and fuel mileage.

5. I suspect the overall reliability of the total package will both pay for itself in trouble free cruising and surely is providing hours of enjoyment tinkering! But, more to follow as its not done yet.