The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
jon75

1975 GMC K25 Sierra Grande

Well folks, the gentleman that I bought this truck from said that I should start a build thread. He said even if no one looks at it, I can at least go back and see my progress. I guess I will do that. Here she is in all her "glory".

It is a 1975 GMC K25 Sierra Grande with HD brakes and suspension. It has an LS9 350 with the Muncie SM465 transmission and NP208???? transfer case. It has a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt GM corporate FF rear axle. Apparently, in 1989, the owner at the time put on this 1986 Chevrolet box because of an accident in the side and wanted a box with dual tanks. The passenger side tank was not hooked up at all, and had a filler tube stuffed up through the hole for the filler neck. The driver side tank was in the back of the truck and is a 16 gallon instead of the correct 20 gallon. It also boasted a manual valve located beneath the driver's seat that looks like it's been there for a long time, but is no where close to factory. The front fenders and hood are aftermarket and it is missing the passenger side fender liner. It came with the unusual Holley 450cfm econo-carb, as the entire engine was stock (except the headers). After getting some fuel to it, I realized the Holley was better served as a paper weight. I threw on an Edelbrock 650 cfm 1406 electric choke with air filter housing. I also put on a new cap and rotor from Accel, Accel 8mm wires and Morosso wire looms to keep the wires off the headers. After these changes, I moved the timing from stock 4 degrees BTDC to 8*. After leaning out the carb a little bit and finding 8* worked best, I rid the engine of any dieseling and it starts immediately.

This past weekend I put on two new front brake calipers and one rear wheel cylinder. Those 3 components were all seized and the one wheel cylinder that was working as bearing grease all over the shoes, so those will have to go soon. I bled the brake system and flushed out all the old fluid. I still have the brake warning light on the dash, so I am assuming the prop valve is failing since I also have a rear lock-up issue as well. I still have yet to source new rear wheel seals and bearings to go with the rear brake job.

My hopes and dreams for it are to get some flat black primer on it to keep the surface rust to a minimum and also to get it to one color. I'm still undecided if I want to keep the factory color maroon or go with a different factory paint. Without further ado, here she is:

ASE certified for brakes, electrical diagnostics and heating and A/C & EPA certified in R12 and R134a
jon75 is offline   Reply With Quote