The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
endlessearth

Lets say you want to keep the 283

I have a 1964 C20 with a 283, a 4-speed granny and a driveline handbrake. It is currently totally factory stock and running. I was originally thinking of replacing the 283 with a modern powerplant and replacing the four speed with a tremec but the 283 has really grown on me and I am less desirous now to make major changes to the truck. Plus, as I read the forums now I see a lot of love for the 283.

My question then is what would a guy in the late 60s do to modify his 1964 C20 if he was intent on keeping the 283? Carb, heads, fuel injection? Is there a period replacement to the granny four speed that uses the same hole for the stick and allows one to keep the driveline handbrake? The truck gets worked as a hay and feed hauler and a daily driver to and from the barn so it is a work truck at heart and I want to keep that feel. Plus it has dents and most of the paint is gone so it isnt a show truck by any means.

I think it would be cool to show up at the local cruise night (every Saturday at Scottsdale Pavilions) with something that looks and sounds like a farm boy in the late 60s put just a little go-fast money into his work truck.

Thank you up-front for any responses.
endlessearth is offline   Reply With Quote