The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

I got the main and idle jets + gaskets from Weber America today. Right quick swapped in the smaller 135 main jet on the primary barrel per Mr. Langdon's instructions. Fortunately I covered the carb with tape, sticky side up, cause I dropped the lil tiny choke e-clip when reassembling the top cover. Caught it on the sticky tape and finally managed to get it all together. That choke e-clip is the worst part of tuning the DGEV carb. It takes lil tiny mini fingers to get it on and off.

Anyway, headlights work fine. Passenger side is a bit high but that's a simple adjustment one evening this week.

As for the drivability, very nice with the new leaner jet in the primary barrel. Hot idle dropped from smooth 600 RPM to smooth 500ish RPM and much less popping in the exhaust decelerating slow in second gear...nice quiet mild mannered Thrush equipped exhaust.

Cold start was instant. Hot restart was just as instant. Ran about 10 miles at 60ish mph over hill and dale and the drivability is still quite good. A bit of hesitation, almost imperceptible, kicking in the secondary hard but if that gets worse I have a one step larger secondary jet to install. (150 on the secondary now, ordered a 155 per instructions in case I need it later as the carb leans down).

But anyway, had lightly blackened rich plugs when I started out....shut it down from 30 mph and coasted into the garage and pulled #3....Quite nice, burned completely clean, dry and starting to get a touch of that proper light brown on the tips. So, I'll run a tank or two to check overall mileage....been averaging 15.5 to 16 mpg with the richer settings and a bit of black smoke/fluffy black plugs. We'll see how this new leaner setting does for a couple weeks. Then maybe, lean it again to see if drivability falls off.

But, as it is right now the Settings for the 32/36 Progressive Weber DGEV on a rebuilt 230 cu in I6 are as follows:

Cold Idle: 1000 rpm
Hot idle: 500 ish rpm
Primary Idle Jet: #60 (Large body jet)
Secondary Idle Jet: #50 (Small body jet)
Primary Main Jet: #135
Secondary Main Jet: #150
Idle mixture: 2.75 turns out from bottom
Idle speed/butterfly adjustment: 1.5 turns in from first contact with linkage
HEI timed 18 Degrees BTDC (35ish degrees all in w/no vacuum advance hook up at 3000 rpm)
Plugs gapped at a strong 45 thousands