The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
MadRatt

Newbie with a simple 64 Stepper Build...

Hey All!

Just bought a ugly a$$ 64 Stepper on June 8th and started tearing it down tonight. Been reading some of the other build threads, and I hope mine doesn't bore you. The bar is pretty high around here... I can't believe the caliber of some of these back yard builds. I just hope mine turns out half as good as most of these.
So here are the plans for it so far:
I want to try and make it run and drive like a new vehicle, but look like a weathered speed shop truck on the outside
so i'm going to bag it, upgrade the brakes to power disc in the front
change out the bushing. clean underneath and under the hood.
its got a 305 in it now that runs great but smokes a bit when you start it.(not valve seals) so for now its a driver but am thinking a mild crate motor, unless I can get it rebuilt reasonably locally. its got a 700R4 in it so that will stay. I want to paint the interior, and do the seat. mild sound system and we should be good. oh and diff rim and tire combo. thinking black smoothies with fat white walls, but haven't made up my mind yet. still has 6 lug for now.

I've got an air bag and front power disc brake kit with drop spindles on the way. Planning on tackling that over my 5 day 4th of july weekend.
Tonight I got the bed, hood and cowl corners off so I can start asap on wed.
going to give soda blasting a shot tomorrow, and see if I can clean up the frame, and engine bay before wed. thinking a taking the front clip off but have never done that before. little apprehensive that it won't go back on easy.. lol

This is my first truck build, and first bag kit install so that should be fun. its been over 10 yrs since I tackled a project this size. I am looking forward to relearning everything all over again. Any advise is welcome.

I'll update as I go.
Thanx
Attached Images

My 64 Stepper Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=586792
MadRatt is offline   Reply With Quote