The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
RyanAK

'71 Burb "Earl" suspension

Hey, gang. Remember Earl?

Well we've been having fun driving him around on short trips here in eastern New Mexico. Even got the A/C working for a while... cold after an initial charge, but there must be a slow leak somewhere.

Anyway... I found out that I'm getting laid off on Friday, so we've decided to put a little money into Earl to get him ready for the 1800 mile trip back home to PA. And as I get this work finished up, it has me thinking of some longer-term suspension goals on this truck.

Here's what's happening at the moment. Should finish up by the weekend, and I'll get some pics up.

1) Sway bars - 1 1/8" front, 7/8" rear

2) Bilsteins on all 4 corners. Front 24-192941, rear 24-002486. I couldn't find the rears for my truck listed, but capev86 listed these numbers in my initial thread. They should arrive today... hope they fit!!

3) U.S. Wheel Series 55 15x8 'Vette-style rallyes

4) Cooper Cobra radial G/T 255/70R15s

I'm thinking I should see a pretty dramatic improvement over the bone stock setup I was running. There was lots of lean in the corners, porpoising after road dips, etc. These upgrades should get me from Hobbs, NM to central PA comfortably and safely.

So my long term plans for Earl are having a 3-season daily driver and fishing buggy. (This truck won't be exposed to Pennsylvania winter road salt!) Occasional long road trip on highways. He'll see some time on unimproved roads, but nothing that would require huge ground clearance or 4wd. There will almost always be some weight in the back - gear, dog, maybe a built-in but removable bunk for the longer fishing trips. And, if possible... he might eventually get the call to tow our '75 Airstream Argosy. But day-to-day handling and ride will trump towing in any decision.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions as to how you would finish out the suspension mods. Earl might stay stock height, but a 2"-3" drop might be ok (which is why I'm not swapping springs yet - haven't decided on height!) but I want few/no clearance issues with the road/other suspension/chassis components. I would want to maintain the factory 2" rake. I'd also want to make changes that allow me to use the new components I'm installing this week if at all possible.

What I currently have in mind (in addition to the above list of things I'm doing now) is:

5) 2 1/2" drop spindles w/new stock 1/2 ton springs up front

6) 2" lowering blocks w/new stock 3/4 ton springs rear

7) adjustable panhard bar

I think this will get me a bit lower while keeping clearances, improve handling, improve hauling, and using the shocks, wheels and tires that I'm currently installing. I think any more drop than this will require shock relocators and the need to replace my brand new Bilsteins. Possible tire/wheel interference issues with the 255/70R15s. Suspension travel issues on unimproved roads.

So what say you? Is my plan reasonable for my desired outcome? Or are there options I'm not considering? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

R
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote