The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
docstheman

70' C10 Work Truck

I had a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 that was my dads from since it was nearly new. A car lost control on I20 headed to Dallas and hit me totaling it while I was on my way to pick up parts for my 1971 Blazer. Since I am a Chevy guy this was a blessing in disquise and I took the insurance money and went out and picked up a 1970 Chevy Long wheelbase pickup. I own a landscaping company and I can't tell you how handy the long bed is. So I will set up this thread similar to the one for my Blazer. Check it out when you get a chance. The link is in my signature.

The good: Pretty straight body. Minimal rust except in the usual places. new 350 Crate Engine, new TH350, Headers, new exhaust with dual magnaflows, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holly 4 Barrel Carb, big tach on the column, B&M Shifter. Truck sounds great. All lights work and it was ready to pass inspection minus a rear brake light lens. Got the truck for $2500 and with the new driveline it seems like a pretty good deal at least for these parts.

The bad:
There is a transmission fluid leak. PO put a stupid 11 inch steering wheel on the truck. Without power steering I am gonna look like a body builder. Bent front passenger fender and tailgate, trim is missing and so there are holes all down both sides of the truck on bottom and top, Not an AC Cab truck and I live in TX, original seat is torn badly, no dash pad, ugly red carpet, door panels and arm rests are missing, rattle can black paint, no cupholders, The starter sounds a little scratchy and there was rust in the fuel filter that I changed as soon as I got it.

The Goal: This is a work truck, not a show truck. I want it to look good and perform great but I am not concerned with everything being perfect. Mechanical over cosmetic, but this truck will also be advertising for my landscaping company so I want it to be cool. The main thing is I am trying to keep the investment to a minimal. So this is a cheap freshen up. Not actually a build.

Process for getting it there.
Fix the transmission fluid leak. Check out the starter and replace if necessary. Get a seat cover and replace the tiny steering wheel with a bigger one. Do a tune up/check up. Get updated registration and inspection stickers. Get a new dash pad (I need one for the Bazer too). Replace the front passenger fender and possibly the tailgate. Put a set of 20"s on the truck to give it a hotrod look that will match the sound. new carpet or floor covering and install a cupholder. Later I will probably want to relocate the gas tank, install power steering and power disk brakes.
Attached Images

Click Here for my Blazer Build: 1971 Blazer 4x4

Click Here for my Work Truck Build: 1970 C10 LWB

Toys: 1970 C10, 1971 Blazer 4x4, 1976 Corvette Stingray L82, 2011 Cadillac CTS 6 speed, 2008 VTX 1800F

Last edited by docstheman; 09-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote