The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
special-K
Special Order

Re: Your ultimate road trip?

I've taken road trips in these trucks many times. The longest one way trips were CA to MD. Nothing too exciting to report,except a mishap here or there and some fun side triips taken when stopping in on friends along the way. We had the family camper for 18 years ('71 Cheyenne Custom Camper/20),so lots of trips up and down the East Coast to the mountains or beaches.

The all time best road trip was out west. My wife and daughter flew to Santa Fe to visit her friend after she graduated nursing school. A couple weeks before they left it hit me...screw being practical...screw the work...I'll be miserable if I stay here. So,I called my dad and invited him,then got the truck prepped. My son,father,and I hit the road to Santa Fe! My oldest and youngest sisters lived in Taos,so after spending some time in Santa Fe were trucked on up to my sisters' for a visit. Had a great visit there,my dad stayed for a longer visit with his girls before flying back on my wife's ticket.
We headed north to Chama the first night. The Cumbres &Toltec Railway had just (re)opened,which we knew nothing about till we got there. So,the next morning we hopped aboard for a ride of a lifetime. We left there for Pagosa Springs,CO to visit a friend. Over Wolf Creek Pass and out to Cortez,then Mesa Verde,Four Corners,Painted Desert,and down to Page,AZ at Lake Powell/Glen Canyon. We camped on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,checked out the Arches & Moab before heading down to Flagstaff. We camped up on Mt. Humphreys for a night. We went down Oak Creek Canyon and enjoyed slide rock and camped the night. We checked out Sedona before heading back up to Mountainaire,where I had lived before meeting my wife. I still had a Blazer and pickup stored at my buddy's. He was driving them occasionally to keep the juices flowing.
The only mechanical issue the whole trip was descending the North Rim an exhaust manifold blew out. It was coast,brake,coast brake for probably about 10 miles and I guess it was too much on the old cast iron. And,I had just had dual exhaust made for it before leaving. So,once back in Flagstaff it went to an exhaust shop. We couldn't locate a manifold so we went with headers (and doglegged the new exhaust). While the truck was in the shop,my buddy let us borrow his boat. We hooked it to the Blazer and headed to Lake Powell for the day.
Once all squared away with the exhaust issue we started back east by way of Petrified Forest,Meteor Crater,then hit the hiway. We hopped onto Rt66 here and there and went to some of those famous roadside attractions. We camped at White Sands one night,and pretty much bolted home from there because our time had run out.
I have a couple pictures on the computer. This was before digital and I still need to convert the rest. I've shown these before,but one more time along with the story:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote