The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
swamp rat

Spindles too big?

I'll cut and paste from my build thread:

Moving right along, grabbed the front hub and tried to install onto my new spindles, the inner bearing won't slide over the spindle on ether spindle, i test fit all the bearings and seals on the old spindle so didn't even give it a second thought.... Put the rotor/hub back on my work bench, grabbed one of my old spindles and she popped right into place, sigh. I grabbed my calipers and measured about .001 difference, the newer spindle was of course bigger.

So 2 steps forward and 4 steps back again..

I'll have to inspect the new spindles a bit closer, but curious what your thoughts would be to using a strip of emery cloth and trying to polish it down a little?

I'll check into this a little closer later, i really hate the thought of having to pull an inner bearing to remeasure it as i'll waste a seal in the process..

I might pull a spindle tomorrow and try and install it on the bench like i did with the old one today.

While i'm on this subject, the Prevailing Loc Nuts are suppose to be replaced each time, has anyone here reused them?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote