The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
NC_John

Getting ready for the engine work- Did I miss anything?

I am pulling the engine out just to reseal it (all new gaskets and seals), clean it up a bit and maybe give it a coat of paint. I got my box of parts in from Summit this afternoon. Here is what I had come in:

Intake gasket set
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gaskets
Timing cover, with front and rear mains, fuel pump gasket, other small gaskets
New oil pump and pickup (will tack weld pickup to pump)
Freeze plug set
New timing set (chain and gears)
New Edelbrock fuel line (just to get rid of my butchered one)

I have a "new" '67 intake I am getting hot-tanked and cleaned up and am waiting for my Chevrolet scripted valve covers to come in (getting rid of the pcv and other vacuum plumbing on the intake).

I just realized I ought to get some exhaust gaskets (and figure out what I am going to do to the manifolds...paint them I guess)

Anything else I should do while I am in there? I have a brand new carb and brand new distributor, new plugs, new wires... I might get a water pump. The fuel pump is pretty new and easy enough to change if it gives me trouble later. Same thing with the starter. Its working fine and easy to change so I'm inclined to leave it.

I'll convert the throttle assembly to cable while its out.

I am trying to decide if I should get the rad looked at/tested while it is out or just leave well enough alone and give it a fresh coat of paint (using the eastwood rad paint). Same thing with the tranny (3 spd). I'm going to replace all the clutch and shifter wear parts (see if can get rid of that sometimes sticking pedal) but don't know if I should get it checked out at a trans shop. My thinking is its working fine now and I don't want to put money into a Saginaw I may replace later so leave it. If it does break I can pull it out easily at anytime anyway.

Am I missing anything? As soon as I finish an interior project on my wife's truck, I am going to start teardown on mine I think.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote