The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #27
Cobra427sc

Re: Camaro front clip questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
Is your subframe in 1 inch forward? My frame had the front cut off already, so I had no front axle to measure centerline. I put in my Camaro rear end and then measured forward and made the wheelbase 115.5. I may have gone a little too far. I mounted the cab and front fenders, but no weight yet. My core support bolt will hit the steering box.
Hey PDW HOTRODS! This is were it gets hard for me to explain...but I will try.
As the original rear axle is off centered to my eyes in the rear wheel well. I have a 4 link Triangulated rear suspension kit installed.

I wanted the rear end centered in the wheel well as best I could and with the 4 link I can move it up or back as you already know this. Being that said. Also I moved the front clip to center that also. So my wheel base is what I make it to be as for my visual setup and the way I want it to look.

I just called my welder and asked him and mine is 113 1/4 from center to center. We just put the rear box on last night to see how she looked and I like it the way it is. I don't have the front fenders with me as they are fiberglass and I'm going to change them out for metal ones.

This is were it gets confusing in my eyes, as I read so many builds in this area.
Everything depends on what you are using for your suspension and how you want your wheels to line up in the wheel wells. Some like them up and some like them back, I just wanted mine to be somewhat as centered as I could get them. That was my preference in how I wanted the truck to look.

But I will send a few pictures of the box just put on and lined up to the holes in the original frame.
There is no coil over shocks on just support bars there for now. No flooring installed or any of the cross sills bolted up. It was just to see how the 15" roller wheels looked in the wheel well with the box.
For me it looks just right.

I Imagine she will sit a little lower once all the front end and box weights are installed. All so I have one rotation cut off my front springs. Wasn't by choice as one of the springs I got was damaged or broken off, so I just made the equal.

So this will give you some idea of how it looks. Hope this info give you some help in your build.
Later Buddy and good Luck with your build.
Cobra427sc.
Attached Images

Cobra427sc is offline   Reply With Quote