The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
voxnor

Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

I hesitated a few days posting this question as it is quite broad, very opinion based, and there are some threads similar in nature via searching. However, as I can't come to a decision - I am hoping some personalized opinions/photo's can help me make up my mind.

As I posted in my 'I'm new here' post, I have inheirited a 1969 C10 Custom Longbed Fleetside - owned by my Grandfather and Father previously. After a year and a half of trying to work on it (failing to make progress due both to a very busy I.T. career and a general lack of mechanical know-how), I resigned myself a few months ago to saving some cash and sending the majority (read: all) of the work to a shop. Main reason being: I want to enjoy driving/cleaning/maintaining the truck.

After shopping around the area and meeting with several shop owners, I landed with one in the area. I am now a few weeks away from dropping off the truck for several months for a full restore with a modest budget (35k target, 40-42 max).

Now for the issue: I can't decide between going mostly stock or doing some significat apperance mods. To better illustrate what I mean by this, here is a breakdown of major changes I would do each way:

Purpose of truck: Daily driver / occasional show (10k miles a year)

If I keep it looking stock: I'll put in a 350/290, TH350, stock ride height, mostly stock appearance

If I mod it a bunch: I'll go with a higher output engine, perhaps a ZZ5, do a 2/4 drop, and add a few more mods to the interior.

In either case, i'll be doing a disc brake conversion.

So - what do I do? I worry i'll sully the 'family heirloom' if I mod it a bit; but I worry i'll wind up a bit bored with a mostly stock truck. Anyone face a similar delima?

As I said - this is all opinion based - so lets have them! What would you do? Any thoughts for someone just now getting in to classic cars? I would greatly appreciate all opinions, pictures, insults, etc.