The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Guilty By Design

Tube Frame 53

Got this truck in the shop for a full tube frame, LS swap, air ride, fuel cell and some cosmetic sheetmetal repair. The customer gave me full freedom to do what I wanted, only thing he needed was a trailer hitch.

Ive build dozens of frames out of square tube but never one out of round, and me and the old man have been cranking out rock crawler and rzr cages like crazy lately so I decided to build this one out of round and take advantage of all that space under these trucks. I really like how tootsie was built so I first laid everything out in bend tec

Then started bending and notching

sleeved my joints

And got my front clip installed. This is a modified mustang II frontend I designed and have used on a few of my builds. It uses the same spindles, rotors and calipers, rack & pinion as a mII setup but I played with the geometry to get up to 10'' of travel with only 3* camber change and just works better laying out with big wheels. It uses offset tab inserts in the upper arm mounts to get its adjustment, its similar to the new GM and dodge mounts, only with the inserts the arms can never slip out of adjustment.

Cab mounts

4.8 LS going in. It fit like a glove.

4 link tabs

Center section

That's what 2 days have got me. Ill be ordering the frontend parts and all the air management on Monday.
Guilty By Design is offline   Reply With Quote