The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
Ben_Yeaton

Help choosing new mufflers!

Looking for new mufflers to install on my '62 C10. Truck has a 283 with a cam and head work, headers, and 2.25" true dual pipes with a 12" glasspack on each side. Exhaust ends under the bed just after the cab and is VERY loud. I would like to keep all of the existing tubing that I can and just replace the glasspacks. Ground clearance is an issue, but a 4" tall round or oval unit would fit fine pending my measurements are sound.

Here are my options:
2 x Magnaflow Oval body 4x9" case 14" length
2 x Magnaflow Oval body 4x9" case 18" length
2 x Magnaflow 4" Round body 14" length
2 x Magnaflow 4" Round body 14" length
2 x Dynomax Bullets

I'm wanting good sound, this is a hot rod after all. I do not like Flowmasters or chambered mufflers of the like. The drone is not my favorite. From what I have read the Magnaflow Oval mufflers are quieter than their round equivalent. Sounds right but does anyone have any comment on this? I'm scared to choose a length and have it be too loud still or too quiet.

Any opinions?

And if I have 2.25" exhaust tubing would I order 2.25" In/Out sized mufflers? Are they flared to fit from the factory? Or do I order 2" to slip inside or 2.5" to slip over?
Ben_Yeaton is offline   Reply With Quote