The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Re: 2 for 1 Part II...

This weekend was a good one for this truck!

My wife let me have pretty much the whole day on Saturday to work on it. I did a few things around the house too, and I grilled venison burgers for Lunch that day, they where awsome! I stopped around 5:00 pm so that we could great ready to go to a get together with her Women's Bible class. That was a good time.

Anyway, I finished all the wiring for the engine and got the ground straps in place. I tested all the systems and everything checked out OK except for two fuel fittings that leaked. Luckly these were easy to reach and a quick tightening with a couple of wrenches and we were good. I need to get a couple of male spade terminals for a couple of wires for the ALDL connector install, but it is all wired and ready to go.

This motor has been sitting since Jan 26, 2014. I changed out the oil and filter and made sure there was fuel in all the lines and pressure against the rails. I did a quick bump of the starter with the relays for the fuel and coils removed. I heard a noise that did not sound right to me (like something was loose) so I had to check it out. Turns out I never put the torque convertor bolts in when we put the trans and engine back together when we dropped the combo in this truck back in the summer. So, I found the bolts and got that corrected. Put the relays back in and tried again. It came to life like it should.

It had A LOT of oil smoke on the first start up come out of the exhaust, but has seemed to diminish the next couple of times we started it up. Since it did not have any water in it, I only let it run a minute or so this first time.

Sunday after lunch, we put water in the cooling system and started it up again. I let it run a bit longer, the smoke was less, but there is a funny sound coming from the top side. Not like a rod knock or a lifter tapping, but something. It has good oil pressure at idle, but it is hard to pin point the sound since there is no exhaust on it yet. I think it maybe just from sitting for so long, but not sure. Found a water leak where I installed the temp sender, so I will need to correct that this week. I will finish up the cooling fans and get the new range selector switch installed this week too and shoot to get some form of an exhaust on it before starting it up again. This next time I will let it come up to full operating temperature and see if the sound changes or goes away. This motor has well over 200k miles on it so I am going to chance it that the sound in nothing major at this time....

Here is a pic of the grill with the new headlights and turn signals installed. I do not think this grill had ever been out of the truck till I got it. It was cracked and broken in a few places, but all the bits and pieces where there. I cleaned it up and glued are the parts back together. It mounted up good and seems firm in there.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote