The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Next up was the actual bracket that would be the mounting point for the belt. Again I would use this for additional structural support of the pillar extensions. So I cut another access hole through the inside of the door jam right above the center rib this would let the bracket sit directly on top of the rib and get welded to it as well.. This would again allow me to slide the bracket in from the front side and also give me a welding point to fasten it to the jam.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Once I had the bracket in the hole I could tack it in place take it out and do the final welding of it.
[/URL]
So the last thing I got done today was drilling all the holes for the plug welds.
[/URL]
So to re-cap.....the pillar extension will get welded the full length along the seam of the factory pillar. Then it will get plug welded through all the holes I made in the factory pillar. Then I will weld all the ribbing and the bracket to the inside of the door jam. Overkill perhaps, but I don't think it will fold forward as easy. I guess in the event of an accident I will probably only be a vegetable instead of pushing up daisies!
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote