The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Canadian_Trev, certainly a very uplifting post, thank you.

Sometimes when I post picture after picture, something in the back of my head tries to convince me that all the fabrication pictures are a waste of time. Then someone like yourself re-reminds me of why I start build threads in the first place, not just to show the before and after but also to show the "how it got done" process.

My smaller, yet most "go to" tool I have because of the amount of welding and metal work is my 4 1/2" grinder with 40 grit flap discs. If you have a 4 1/2" grinder and do not use flat discs you are wasting the grinder's potential. When I re-welded all the bumper brackets, front and rear, all the grinding was using 40 grit flap discs. When I reshape or close fit sheet metal for a butt joint weld, I use the flap discs vs a pair of tin snips. When I weld the bed end caps on and have all the weld beads to perfect all around the edges, flap discs. In most of these cases after the flap disc grinding I have little or no body filler needed to smooth the area, I go to sand blast, epoxy primer then either paint or feather fill primer.

There are techniques to properly use the flap discs to their potential, I can explain them later if anybody is interested. Actually, going back to the build thread of my Willys truck I posted a little time back shows the many of the ways I use the flap discs on the metal work I did on that truck.

Has anybody ever worked very hard on something and got rewarded the very next day? I have a story to tell.

First, an old picture, I'm sure most remember where the inside of the cab started.

It's not the best picture but it's all I got.

Then the ideas of size and shape start to form a frame work.

Then you get the pieces all made and fitting together. It hurts to tear it all apart at this point but you have to believe the next time it's all back together it'll be worth the effort.

Finally paint is done and everything is back together again.

I had the last couple of weeks off knowing the car show is yesterday. I worked very late hours nearly everyday. I was exhausted Friday night at 1:00 in the morning. I said to myself, this all had better be worth it!!

Couldn't sleep I was so excited to show the truck, but got through to the morning.

The show was great, had a pretty good turn out. Lots of positive comments on the truck. Then came award time. I thought I was good for a truck award only, ha, there other category's that cover overall contests too.

Chief of Police Top Choice, First place.

Best overall Truck award, First place.

Club choice award for overall mechanicals, fit and finish. First place.

Best of show, attraction to audience and overall impact. First place.

Thank you God for imputing the talents into my hands and giving me the patience to struggle through the many battles we endure through out these projects.

I'm so pleased to be able to hopefully inspire many who follow these build threads that are freely available, to raise you own bar and reach for you own higher standard. I very seldom used the phrase "it's good enough" on this truck, why settle when your there right now?

Just to prove that you can look like a dork and still do some fine craftsmanship, I present something I never show...... me. I had people congratulating me while this picture was taken and I was paying attention to them vs looking at the camera.

I still have odds and ends to finish, but from here on out this truck is gonna be adding up some miles.

Thanks again for everybody's input along the way, Jim

Last edited by Stepside Jim; 06-21-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote