The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
dave`12

running hot

my project truck is finally able to start. I remember when I bought it, it got hot in traffic and at stop lights, but did not over heat on the freeway home. So now I'm working on the engine in the driveway at idle and it gets hot pretty quick, almost to the red in less than 10 minutes. (does anyone know the numbers on the stock gauge, how hot is it when it first hits red, and where should it stay, around the middle?)

It seems like it takes a long time for the thermostat to open, but it does open. I remember changing it (185), and thinking back, I forgot to check for the arrow pointing to front, is that a big deal? And it is doing pretty much what it was when I got it, should I take that apart?

Other info: a/c was added to the vehicle, don't have that belt on now, but there is a condenser in front of the main for the a/c. Maybe that's blocking the air? That a/c fan is not coming on (vehicle has a regular mechanical fan,though), but then again, the a/c is off. Also, when the engine is idling, I hear a noise, much like a power steering pump low on fluid. Not real loud, but it is definitely there and coming from the engine, probably the front of the engine. If my water pump would going, I'm thinking gm water pumps have a seep hole, and I'm not losing fluid, so thinking the water pump is ok? Timing is at 0 at idle.