The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
Ride The Snake!

Rebuild or long block?

Hello all you helpful folks here. May I annoy you people with another mundane question?

I'm the guy who a year ago was posting about his suspected worn cam, thread here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=676696&page=2

Turns out, cam lobe for exhaust on #6 was in fact ground down to nada. Also turns out, I have a set of those godawful 624 heads, which I keep reading I should not consider putting one penny into.

So what I seem to be left with is the option to rebuild the motor with a disassembly/hot tank/seals/rings etc for the bottom end, along with selection of some better heads and matching intake, carb, cam, timing kit--OR just go ahead and buy a pre-built long-block.

If I go the rebuild route, I just want a mild street truck with some bark, something in the 350 hp range. Would it be more cost-effective to buy a long block? It would certainly be quicker and less fun.

I apologize for the fact that this is probably an oft-asked question by other newbs faced with the same conundrum.
Ride The Snake! is offline   Reply With Quote