The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
GMC69

Need help with rim choices

I've had my 1970 C20 for about 5 years now. I replaced the tires a few years ago with some Falken Ziex ST-Z04 in 245-75-16. I find that I don't get enough traction in the rear, not only in wet but also in dry. I drive it pretty normal, but once and a while do take off a bit quick.
I run 30psi in the tires.
I was thinking of going to a wider tire, but can't find what I want in a 16" to go on the rims I have already. I would like to run a 285 which would give me about 2" more in the rear, so about 11" tire.
My options are to go to an 18" rim for a tire that will match the height of my current tire and I can get the 285 width I want.

The problem is I can't decide which of the 2 rims to go with but also if I should stagger the rims. So keep a 16" up front and get the 18" for the rear. I would then only need to buy 2 rear tires. Or get 18" all around and buy 4 new tires. I barely have any mileage on the current tires.

Seeing that my truck has the black modding on it, I figured it would look good with a black with machined lip rim, but also found the same rim in just polished aluminum.

Which rim should I put on, and should I go 16/18 combo or 18" all around?

Below are the pictures of the 2 rims I would like to choose from and a couple shots of my truck. It's also on bags so one picture is fully aired up and fully down.

Truck

Up and down shot

Both rims

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote