The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
Boeing

5.7 liter and 4L60E into 53 truck

Hi guys, first post and am happy to be aboard!
I have owned a fully older restored 53 1/2 ton for 2 years now and am finally pulling the trigger on either a S10 chassis swap or IFS....haven't decided yet.
Here are my questions.
I recently bought a 5.7 liter engine and 4l60e tranny out of a 1994 chev 1500.
I got a great deal on it and want to go with a SBC and a 4 speed. I was thinking 700r4 but then this deal came long and thought HEY...this can only be better!
All the reading i have been doing on putting this engine and tranny combo into my 53 is making my head spin! I know its possible...but how much work is this going to be?
What type of components are required to get this engine (TBI) and tranny to work properly in my 53? Seems like a daunting task!
Is there any after market harnesses out there that can turn this into more of a "plug and play" type install?
I do fortunatley have the PCM and all of the wiring harnesses that came from the 94 truck....MAN THERES A LOT!!!It looks like the DRAC and other items are all there as well.
But what about speed sensors and anti theft devices that were in the 94 truck? Again, sorry for all the shotgun questions.....but im really chasing my tail here.
SO in a nutshell....i guess i need to know how to do the engine tranny swap/conversion.
Thanks in advance! looking forward to lots of great tips moving forward.
By the way, my 53 is still all original..restored but all original, ie solid front axle, six cylinder, closed drive shaft, 3 speed manual, etc.
Boeing is offline   Reply With Quote