The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
Curt - TN

1950 Five Window Build

I have been working on a 1950 Chevy Five window for a few months and now that I have made some decent progress I figured I would start sharing some progress. We bought the truck at the end of March and made a little progress then my wife bought 3 Auburn cars and that set me back a few months but I am back on it now.

Up to this point I have been building C1 Corvettes so this is my first build with a metal vehicle and it has been a learning experience.

I bought it as an unfinished project. The previous owner installed a ford 9 inch rear with a 4 link set up, a Heidts front cross member but they still had the Mustang II control arms.

Unfortunately after they did all of the chassis work they stopped work on the project and left it out in the rain so everything rusted and the rear end filled with water so it was toast.

We started by stripping the body off the frame and getting everything blasted. Overall it looked pretty good accept for cab corners and a center section of the roof.

This is what it looked like when we picked it up:

We immediately started the tear down.

After we blasted the frame we cleaned up any bad welds and modify the front end to accepts tubular A-Arms then it was time for some fresh paint.

Next it was time to focus on the body. It was media blasted then we started working on metal replacement. We decided to just get a whole new bed for it.

We then primed the bare metal and followed up with several coats of Slick Sand high build primer.

Then we mocked up the engine and trans on the chassis.

Then came some paint.

And this takes us to where I am today.

Assembly has started, now comes all the detail work. I am sure I will have several questions since I have never seen the truck fully assembled

I have several articles on my blog and links to yourtube videos on some of the progress here. CLICK HERE TO READ MY BLOG POSTS
1957 GMC 100
Curt - TN is offline   Reply With Quote