The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
c20pickup

wiring questions for this noob

just like the title says.. im a wiring noob, soooo, layman's terms please
just a few questions im sure easily answered by some that are better at this wiring thing than me!

starting from the top, my truck is a 1970 c20, non A/c, 350, hei, passenger side one wire alt., 700r4, new dash cluster with tach, and volt guages, i purchased all new stock style wiring harness for the engine, cab, headlight, taillights and under dash from classic heartbeat. the harness was modified to work with the hei and the internally regulated alternator.

my questions are as follows.

1. how do i wire the alternator, i understand my alternator is one wire, but it also has a rubber plug where the two prong plug in would normally go. the new harness has the thick red cable for the lug on the alt. but also has the two wire plug in, is it detrimental to have the two prong connector plugged into the alt. i thought i remember reading somewhere it doesn't matter either way if its plugged in or not and the two wire plug is just for the gauge ad idiot light in the dash.

2. when wiring the starter and battery i should only need one thick cable going to the lug on the starter, and another cable from the alternator to that same lug on the starter, or should i be running the alt. cable right to the battery instead?

3. another starter question. the stock style harness has two wires for the starter, a purple and a yellow. the truck has a high torque mini starter, so my understanding is that the yellow wire isn't used and i should only use the purple wire as the trigger to the starter and the yellow just gets tied up and isnt used at all.

4. in the headlight section the glass fuses that belong to each headlight, what size fuse needs to be used in there, i cant seem to remove any from my old harness without shattering them.

5. grounding. where are all the ground cables located? engine to frame, engine to body, body to frame, bed to frame???, am i missing any? also, where does the battery get grounded to? ive seen some grounded to the frame rail and on other cars ive seen them grounded back to the alternator bracket (seems kind of hokey to me).

im sure i will have more as i continue working on the wiring, thanks in advance!
c20pickup is offline   Reply With Quote