The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
'68 Newtricks

Porter vs Choppin vs RS vs NoLimit crossmember?? Bag recommendations

Hey 67-72,
I don't have much of my truck on here, mostly just a lurker. I'm looking to swap out my whole front end. (suspension,brakes,crossmember, steering) I currently have a CPP modular spindle, 1" spring, arms, 500 box, CPP swaybar, and CPP big brake kit. Truck is basically ~3.5/6" drop on 28.8" tires. Truck handles the mountain roads really well. Sucker stays planted nicely. So you might think, "what's the problem"?

Spindle grooved from a bad bearing
Howling noises have started again
Kinda over the drilled/slotted rotors, noisy groans
Freeway is a pleasure, streets are too eF'ed to enjoy the truck, terrible ride
Steering can be better, looking at R&P

Instead of addressing all the little things that bother me, I'm just going to swap out the whole crossmember for new stuff. I would like to go airbag all around, but not for dropping, hopping, dragging, or any of that nonsense

I just want a nicer ride. I want the same stance I have now. I don't want to lose handling, I really really push the truck as often as I can. I always pictured myself running coilovers in the future cause I want the best handling, but find myself not driving the truck as often as I'd like because the roads are so bad. I'm hoping the bags help. I am running the CPP trailing arms out back. I wouldn't mind bags out there too. Again, for a smoother ride and to help handle heavy loads.

What front crossmember is going to give me the best handling with bag option? Good caster, move wheels forward, accepts an LS, R&P, etc etc.
Any other options I'm not covering? I'm also not fond of running the CPP spindle and hub setup. I'm not having good luck with it.

NoLimit

Roadster Shop

PorterBuilt

Choppin Block