The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1950 Five Window Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt - TN View Post
Dan,
You know I am not sure what kind of oak wood it is but I think it is red oak. It was LMC part number 38-7100 and they do not say on their page.

I went back and forth on to stain or to just clear and I even considered spraying automotive clear and buffing (that will be my next build).

I ended up not using any stain. What you see in the pictures is light sanding with 220 grit between coats then I have about 4 or 5 coats of Minwax High-Gloss Helmsman clear. I think on the next one I might end up with about 7 coats to try to get rid of a little of the grain texture. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out.

Curt, Thanks so much for the fast response. I'd agree that it's red oak if it came from LMC.

So the Helmsman alone gave it the golden hue since its not stained. I had fully planne on using Helmsman too but started searching "best clear for UV" and a lot of things came up. Most intersteing to me is Sikkens Cetol Marine or Marine Lite The reviews are crazy good and consistent. If I do i will post the whole process and how it comes out. Thanks again, Dan

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 06-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote