The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
byates2

Success a decade in the making

I must share my success story with my fellow Chevy Truck gear heads.

About 11 years ago i acquired a 67 Chevy C10 Long Bed. It was my very first car at 17. I loved it. it was rough and wasnt powerful. It had a 283 and a 2 speed powerglide. 6 months into enjoying my truck and tinkering and making it better, an idiot pulled out in front me. The insurance wanted to total it. I said no, i'll take less and restore it. So, for years and years, i saved up, bought parts and restored it. I built it from the ground up. I completely tore it down to the frame, got it straightened and away i went. It took so long because i had to save money here and there to be able to get the best parts, while going to school and working full time. I built every system. Brand new disk brake conversion, new differential, new trans, new engine, new carpetting, new everything. I tightened every nut and bolt and ran every line, from the brakes to the fuel. I acquired a used 350 and had it rebuilt. 3000 dollars later, i had a 350 bored 38 over with a racing cam and 400 heads. I bought a beefed up 700r4 and installed that. Put 4.11 gearing in along with posy traction. A four core radiator to keep the beast cool. I put the body back on along with a brand new varnished oak bed. The time finally came yesterday to register it. It didnt pass the brake and light inspection (the blinkers werent working with the headlights on, its fixed now). But, yesterday i got to finally drive it and give it its first maiden voyage beyond just down the street and back. This thing is a monster and i was almost in tears as i drove my truck that has been dormant for the past decade. This coming friday, i go back to the DMV and the light inspection to finally make it street legal. Words cannot describe how proud i was as i pushed the pedal and zoomed down the street. I love my 67 C10 and i finally have got it road worthy. It still needs some work and finishing touches, but my baby is finally back.

I just wanted to share with you guys cuz i know you will appreciate it more then i can describe to my friends and family. Proud moment for me and my monster of a truck.

Thanks for reading!