The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
LT7A

Fuel Condition and Quality

I did a search for fuel stabilizers and found this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...uel+stabilizer

Since the title doesn't speak to the content I decided to start a new thread.

Who uses fuel stabilizers, what brand, and what do you like about them? I want to find something that can keep the fuel stable as I disassemble my parts truck while I wait to pull the tanks.

Sta-bil seems to be the most common, but apparently Lucas has a fuel stabilizer as well.

I'm thinking that I might run the old fuel in my lawn mower. Any thoughts?

Another topic in that thread is about fuel brands. I get brand loyalty since I had a great experience working at a Chevron one summer. I also have long felt that Chevron gas is well developed and that the Techron additive is effective (we used to use the concentrate as a tune-up aid). That said, there was an opinion stated in that thread that Chevron additives were causing a "reddish, dusty crap" on spark plugs and that Shell was the way to go. Their mechanic said that there was a GM service bulletin that recommended to avoid Chevron gas. Anybody have input on this, or a way to verify?

Shell is my backup plan but I nearly always burn Chevron. So... brand loyalties aside -- what's your experience with modern gas formulas?

Last edited by LT7A; 09-19-2017 at 10:05 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote