The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
Super73

Re: 6.0 runs and quits

GM never intended a MAF based vehicles fail safe SD system to be the main program to run from. It is intended to get you off the freeway and home safely, then to get it fixed.

I have done my fair share of disconnected MAF driving, I am not afraid of any near term issues. However contrary to popular belief, a severely retarded tune up couple with excess fuel causes damage. It might not be right away but over time things can get ugly.

Washing cyls down
Excessive fuel IE Rich condition can cause predetonation
Add predetonation to fuel seeping between the rings and well so much for ringlands
Fuel in the oil

I am a big proponent of SD tuning, but not what is in the stock tune.

May I ask how long you have been "tuning" GM ECU's?

I am always learning and have been doing it since 2001.

The truck I race is in HPT 1bar SD mode
95% of the 200 cars I have tuned are in SD mode or i started there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I might agree with you, not sure. I think he has a mechanical/physical problem with what the MAF sees due to location in the tube or an air leak. I don't blame the tune, MAF, or ECM, I bet they're all fine.

I've never seen this. What ECMs do you believe cause this, as it would be important to avoid, but there's no info here. So far as I can tell the LS3 doesn't do that.

You'd want to fix the fallback timing table and clean up the VE if that's true, though I haven't actually encountered either, I'm by no means familiar with every GM ECM.

You guys are sorta funny - I've been daily driving the car you guys are afraid won't even run this whole thread! What doom and gloom! Of course I can only claim this for the LS3 but it works great.

Doesn't tell you what you think it does. Your tune is likely fine and both MAFs are fine, you either have a air leak like an unrestricted PCV or the MAF is sampling from a bad spot in your tube. It's one or the other. You'll need to fix it or run without the MAF.

Stop cleaning and replacing your MAF, there's nothing wrong with it!
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote