The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
paintman

The 46 Dodge pickemup in NJ

Ok guys here we go again! I figured I would start the build thread here on the Chevy site since I couldn't really find a decent Dodge forum. Just as a warning though, this will be a LOOOOOOOOOOONG SLOOOOOOOW build! Mostly because i am still burned out from the 46 chevy build, and because this is inteneded to be a retirement project, but I am not yet retired fully. Also because I have been waffling on which way to take this project.

First off a little history on the truck. I purchased the truck from a fuy in Ct. who told me it was brought out to the East coast from the mid West by som kind of classic car company. He purchased it and then decided he didn't have the time to do the work. After I finished my chevy I really had no intention on doing another project. That's where the wife stepped in and convinced me I would be miserable with nothing to do after I retire. Soooooo seing as how this truck was in such soled shape I bit the bullet and drug it home. Mind you I had to not only rent a truck, but also a trailer from UHaul.

Off to Ct. with the wife..........

Truck was being stored in an old textile mill............

About 12 hours later back home and safely unloaded........

So this is where it has set for the first couple of months until I felt motivated enough to do something. Mind you I still had some small fixes to do on the Chevy. With winter setting in I didn't want to leave the ole girl out in the elements so I figured it was time to air least get the body up into the storage are I have above the garage.

So began the disassembly of all the body components. Fortunately I have storage above my garage for the bed, fenders, grille, etc. The cab has gets to live with the Chevy in the lower portion of our garage.

Of course when the paintman finished up the Chevy he never envisioned doing another truck so he cut up and burned the cab dolley he had

So the back of the cab will need the usual patch panel at the bottom because of rust. The beltline is in perfect shape!

And each door has a small rust hole just below the hing, otherwise thats it, cab corners are solid!

Of course the firewall is swiss cheese. But most of that will be cut out anyways for the engine. Hmmmmmmmm I wonder what engine??????????

The frame is parked in the weeds. Other then the 100 factory holes that will need to be filled, the damn thin is in great shape, just some surface rust!

So that was the staus quo throught the winter. Other then the frame, everything is being kept high and dry.

So everyone who kept up with my Chevy build knpws that I have a hell of a time making decisions as I tend to over analyze, and debate with myself, every last detail. This truck is no different! I havre spent the last 6 months going around and around in circles trying to decide which direction I want to take this project.

Chassis Direction 1
Keep the original chassis and do the typical MII front and leaf spring rear on lowering blocks. Or possibly Industrial chassis Dakota front cross member. Alot of welding and patching of hole in frame!!!!!

Chassis Direction 2
Dakota chassis with drop spindles.
The right year Dakotas are proving hard to find in NJ

Chassis Direction 3
S10 chassis. Planning to keep truck all Dodger if possible.

Still havn't pinned down a motor choice either. First of most of you know I like to be different! so originaly I had planned on going the same route as with my chevy, an inline six. Or more accurately a Dodge slant six. Soo I scoupped up a couple on the cheap.
The one on the right is a 1970 forged crank motor, and the one on the right is a 76 cast crank.

However after spending some time on slants.org I have some reservations about these motors and may be headed in a diffent direction. But I have know idea what direction that will be as there are far to many types of molar engines.

Stayed tuned............Paintman
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote