The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
Number plates are covered by the Construction and Use Regulations 1986 (and subsequent amendments ). These stipulate the size of the numbers and letters as well as the spacing between characters and groups. The size of the plate itself is also mandated cars being larger in both respects than motorcycles. Anything manufactured 1973 or later must have reflective plates, white on the front yellow on the back. The only text ( numbers or letters) allowed on the plates is that of the vehicle registration, even dealers putting their name on the plates is technically an infringement.

Even in the correct colours the US style plates will be a pull. I’d have to check the law but I think they fall under traffic not motoring legislation so it would be a fine but no penalty points on your licence. Your best bet ( I’ve done this many times) is to get a motorcycle plate for the rear, they’re smaller so fit in the recess and although technically too small for a car legal in all other respects so you can feign ignorance if you get a pull.
This from Wikipedia

The industry standard size front number plate is 520 mm × 111 mm (20˝" × 4⅜"). Rear plates are either the same size, or 285 mm × 203 mm (approx 11"x8") or 533 mm × 152 mm (approx 21"x6"). There is no specified legal size other than an absolute minimum margin of 11mm producing an minimum height of 101mm (one line) and 199mm (2 line) on cars, and 86mm for one line import vehicles and 164mm for a two line motorcycle or import vehicles, with the overall length being based on the registration number itself, with the smallest number plate possible being 1 having an minimum size of 36mm × 101mm on a car, or 32mm × 86mm on a motorcycle or import vehicle; whereas a 7 character registration number without a 1 or I having an minimum size of 460mm × 101mm (one line), or 255mm × 199mm (two line) on a car, or 231mm × 164mm on an import or motorbike.

Lools like a perfect place to lose money and possibly gain points.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote