The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
'63GENIII

Worst vehicle for spark plug, oil change or tune up?

Ive been getting back into side jobs lately and have had to start using the "Moon Van" a lot more. Well after about a week of driving it, it developed a pretty consistent miss. Idle or under load. I was pretty sure that it needed plugs and coil packs which I somewhat dread doing.

Im gonna come clean here and hope that I don't get banished from the site for blasphemy.... Its a Ford, and a '97 at that. You know the ones. They shoot spark plugs out when the 3 threads that hold them in give way which dooms the owner to try and Helicoil the hole that cannot be seen without a periscope and a mirror. Good times there! The ones that are supposed to go until just out of warranty before the plugs are due for replacement. Enter the 5.4 Triton.

Ok. Now that Im no longer living in denial and have just spilled my guts to you guys about my alternative drivestyle , I feel free and I can get on with it.

As I was replacing the plugs, using every ratchet, extension, u joint and expletive that I had just to remove the coil packs, cleaning every hole of the insane amount of dirt to keep the cylinders from turning into hour glasses, I got to thinking. This has to be the worst vehicle to tune up... Ever.

Then I thought about the turbo Subaru that needed the motor mounts unbolted to jack up the engine so the plugs can be accessed. 4 cylinders took a day to do. I had to redo them as well because I used the wrong gap setting and didn't realize it until I was completely done. That was definitely worse than the Ferd. The Triton only took 4 hours for 8 but came with 8 opportunities to strip out the threads and we all know how much fun that would be. Kinda like playing the lottery in reverse .

I came to appreciate the Big Block in the truck, the LS in the Denali, the Vortec in the boat and even my Daughter's little Mazda with the plugs staring right at ya when you open the hood.

So what says all of you? Your worst spark plug changes? Heck, lets expand it to oil changes and tune ups too! Should be a few funny stories to be told.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote