The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
txagincali

1969 C50 4x4 Axle Swap?

Hey Guys,

Has anybody out there successfully swapped their front I-Beam axle over to a 4wd axle? Not referring to the Napco or Rockwells 2.5 ton axles, but more like a Dana 60 out of the 01-04 Ford F350 line since they didn't have spring perches cast into the housing yet.

I know it is a lighter duty axle, but I am converting my C50 Fire Truck into a DuraBurb with a C50 front end. The weight will be reduced given the shorter frame, no flat bed with PTO, and definitely not hauling loads. I want it 4 wheel drive as an option but given its size, length and wheelbase, it won't be doing any rock crawling. I want the 4.10 or 3.73 axles and 8 lug although I realize the Ford bolt pattern will differ from the AAM 11.25" rear diff but gearing will match and be more highway friendly.

Just curious if anyone has had any success in the swap or if there are any other options out there short of building a $3500 axle from scratch.
1972 GMC K5 Blazer 4x4 (sporadically being worked on, accumulating parts)
txagincali is offline   Reply With Quote