The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Need some advice from you guys on what size truck to buy

.I sold my duramax truck and travel trailer thinking I would not be using it any more and since then the wife is on much better medications for her Fibro and RA that has helped her a lot ,,so we are
getting back into camping and also taking the camper with us to California when visiting our son and wife and new grandson ,,we plan on staying a month while there ,,so want our own little home while there...

With the durmax I could pull freight cars I believe but now I do not want a diesel rig ,,, I want something lighter for a truck . Whats your advice for a truck pulling this used travel trailer I have shown here

We bought a 2017 Ultra Lite travel trailer last evening and it is a 23 foot (bumper to tongue measurments) 4471 lbs dry weight, hitch weight 507 libs with dual axles

And now we need to buy a truck
I do think that the newer trucks are beafier than the old one I had in 1973 ,,just not sure how much more

What do think I should get to pull this trailer comfortably for hills to climb and hills to hold the trailer back to go down

I am want to buy a 2014 used truck ..(within our price range) prefer a GMC
4 door short box
Questions are this
1500 ?
2500?

1500 with a 5.3 liter gas or a 6.liter gas
2500 with a 5.3 liter gas or a 6.liter gas

With or without 4/4.. if you think this has factor with the extra weight in the truck for maybe more controling of the weight of the trailer..??

I once had a 24 foot trailer years ago 1975 and it pushed me right out into the middle of a cross street when pulling it with my 1973 Chevy 350 ,, the trailer loaded was around 8000 lbs or more,, going to fast was the main problem .. but I think it was to small a truck also to handle the weight of the trailer.. my first trailer pull