The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
professor229

1995 transmission cross member removal

I worked for Chevrolet back in the 60's and 70's..... I changed transmission fluid on many automatic transmissions... piece of cake..... Now, I own a 1995 C1500 with 75,000 miles and want to change the tranny fluid.... and here is what I ran into.....

Crawled under to find out which tranny I had... square shape, no dog ears, and to confirm this I wanted to count the number of pan bolts.... I suspect 16 and know what I need... but then got to thinking... how do I remove the back pan bolts completely hidden by the transmission crossmember?

Solution... TRY to remove the rusted bolts..... two on each side of the frame... and the one transmission mount nut in the middle....

So, my question..... I remove the four frame bolts.... and then the middle nut on the transmission mount .... now that is done.... here is the question...

Can I place a board under the tranny and jack it up an inch to get the cross member out so I can get access to the back pan bolts? Will I do any damage to anything if I jack it up an inch or so?

Has anyone actually done this? How do Chevy mechanics do this?

Please advise and thanks.... any other suggestions welcome as well....

Thanks again.... Dennis
professor229 is offline   Reply With Quote