The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
No Handle Sam

Deluxe Cab Conversion

Last year we did a restromod conversion to our 48 Chevy 3100. 5.3 LS, 4 wheel disk brakes, coilovers, blah, blah, blah... The truck turned out nice and my wife drives it almost every day. (which is why I'm now working on a 49 for myself) Anyway... one of the things that we did was convert it from a 3 window to a 5 window "Deluxe" cab. This also turned out nice and made the truck much safer to drive without the big blindspots. The shop that did it had never done one before, but used what I believe is the conventional method of doing this (?) by cutting out the old corners and replacing them with new inner and out skins with the window cut outs. Again they did a nice job and you would never know that this truck wasn't originally a 5 window from the factory.

But after it was all done they told me that they would never do another one like this. After digging into it they discovered a few "seams" in the cab. (one on each A pillar and another one along the entire back of the cabe under the rear widow) They have a theory that these trucks were actually "convertibles" when the rolled down the assembly line. Then the tops were added per the build sheet if it was supposed to be a 3 window or a 5 window. I have no idea if this theory holds any water or not? But I thought it would be fun to throw it out there to hear everyones thoughts?

BTW... they say if they ever do another conversion this is how they would do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSU9xoS-BE

Name:  IMG_3197.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3443.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3445.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3644.jpg
Views: 652