The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #11
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Had a busy weekend.

Last night I prepped the truck for Round 3 of fixing the oil leak, and removed the water pump which was also leaking. Borrowed a Lift plate from a friend and mounted it to where the carb goes; decided lifting the engine might be easier than jacking it up.

And it seems that the 3rd time was actually the charm. After getting everything reassembled and starting it up, there were no leaks from the oil pan, rear seal, or water pump. Changing the Rear Main Seal was significant for me because it's the type of job I was always afraid to do myself. Also took the opportunity to clean and paint the front of the engine while everything was off.

Next I replaced the rear Cab Mounts. I originally purchased the Cab Mounts from Classic Parts years ago; when I finally needed to use them, the package had a mish-mosh of pieces and did not look like the photo on their website. I called them to find out what they were for, but it was too late to return anything. The rear of the cab has been too low and Rock Auto sells just the Bushing for the rear mount.

Not sure how easy it is to tell the difference, but it raised the cab 1-2". The Top is Before. The cab is touching the frame at the far ends of the hump in the middle.

Later in the day I had to modify my transmission shift linkage. Raising the rear of the cab required me to cut 3/4" off the shift rod. I still need to work on adjust the NSS to get it to sync with the gears properly. Right now, the truck starts when I'm in Park so I'm happy with that.

Saving the best for last, May 4 was my 50th birthday, and if you've been reading recently you might remember I was getting frustrated with the doors and subsequently the project as a whole. My best friend bought me a pair of aftermarket Door Frames for my 50th!

I know some people don't like aftermarket doors (or aftermarket anything for that matter), but working on the doors was setting me back significantly. The doors arrived last Tuesday 05/12 and I wasted no time mounting one of them. This weekend I test fitted a fender and after many adjustments, got them both to a place where I can live with it.

The new door actually fits better than the original door I had (not original to the cab, but to the truck), and will require less work on my part adjusting the cab corner, which I replaced without having anything fitted as a guide. Once I get the door and fender lined up, I plan to start on the rocker panel.

First I had to retread all of the hinge bolts; I will probably buy a new set.

Then just a lot of fitting, adjusting, and removing and reinstalling the fender. I was surprised I found the Big A** Bolt and had to do some additional cutting to get the fender lined up for it. This is the end result for now...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote