The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
weq92f

Re: Perfect night for a run

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
It’s funny but, driving to the park/trail this morning as I approached the trail (I have to cross over the trail to get to the parking lot at the park) I look to my right and at the last second look to my left and saw an older guy on a bicycle with a helmet. I stopped in plenty of time and I wasn’t driving very fast. I thought had I hit him the helmet wouldn’t have done much good.

I know most folks mean well when they suggest wearing a helmet.
Thanks for not saying that it’s stupid to not wear a helmet.

I know 4 people in the last couple of years that were hit by a car/truck. None of them were wearing helmets.
Last September my friends hit a truck goin 55mph on their motorcycle. My buddies wife sustained worse injuries. I drove them to church and grocery store for quite some time. Neither one had a helmet on. She may have had a concussion...I can’t remember. They both had some extremely serious injuries.

I’ve read automobile accidents account for the most head injuries and #2 are pedestrians. Cyclists are on down the list.
I’ve also read that it’s safer to not wear a helmet.
I think the Netherlands and Denmark have the most cyclists and most don’t wear helmets.

I think helmets could help in some situations and not so much in most cases.
Strictly speaking about bicycles here...it's just a safety thing for me, just like the clear or amber eye glasses I'd put on too every time I hit the trails...back in the day when I was riding 3 times a week. 75% of my riding was off-road with terrain and usually involved tight passes through trees. I would have felt dangerously ill prepared without the helmet.

As you say though, it's likely I could have survived my entire riding career without having ever snapped the d@mn thing on my head! Would have stayed cooler too I reckon.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote