The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
Praxiss454

Tapping when cold and trouble shifting to first

Hi All, Recently rebuilt my L6 230. Broke it in, and changed the oil. Running SAE30 this change with ZDDP additive.

When I first fire it up, its very tappy. I don't know if this is normal or a symptom of a misadjustment. I followed the compcams instructions to set pre load on the lifters, 3/4 turn past when the pushrod wont easily spin in my fingers.

Video of cold start: https://imgur.com/l6cKica
Video after it warms up: https://imgur.com/x6ZlTGi

Any thoughts?

My second problem is thus: It's the manual 3-speed transmission with 3OTT. Sometimes when I go to shift into 1st gear at a stop light or stop sign, it sort of jerks/thunks/grinds into gear even with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I believe this is a non-synchro transmission, but even from a dead stop this happens sometimes. What's going on? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

I've tried to double clutch, I've tried to goose the engine a touch before attempting, no dice. I don't think it's happened when switching from Reverse to 1st gear, only when downshifting from 2nd to 1st at a complete stop.